Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Day of Remembrance: October 15th

October 15th is a day that we can set aside to remember the babies that left this earth a little too early.  Every family has different ways that they remember their babies.  In an earlier blog post, I described a tulip bulb planting ceremony.  As part of that ceremony there was also an art display, comprising of pieces of art that families created to remember the babies they lost.  There were so many different mediums used:  tattoos, remembrance scrapbooks, quilts, paintings, drawings, poems, photos, etc.  It was beautiful to see all the soul that people put into their artwork.

I think it is important for each family to think of their own special way to remember their babies.  Perhaps it as simple as singing a certain lullaby on one of the dates associated with a miscarriage or stillbirth.  Perhaps it is by participating in a March of Dimes walk.  One lady in my support group reached out to her family and friends to send in themed photos each month.  One month it was "Send something that has an elephant."  Another was "Send something associated with the number 3"  Ultra creative and it involved people who cared about her and wanted to help in some way!

I found a store called The Midnight Orange on Etsy several years ago.  I thought her sculptures were beautiful and I never thought I would actually buy one.  After my first miscarriage I thought that being pregnant would take away the sting of loss when the first due date rolled around.  Then I had a second miscarriage and that due date was going to come with seemingly no silver lining.  So I decided I needed a way to commemorate my two miscarriages (at the time, I hadn't named my babies) so I bought this sculpture from The Midnight Orange and waited to open it on January 24th, my original due date.



I love my little sculpture and I really appreciated the note from the artist.  I look at my sculpture often and sometimes I talk to the little angels and tell them how much I love and miss them.  As you can see, there are only two angels with this sculpture so now I need something else for my third!  I have decided to get three of these angel pendants and, just like before, I will wait to open them until February 5th.
Aren't they just beautiful?  This gives me something to look forward to rather than dreading a date that can be filled with sorrow.

A family member sent me this suggestion of a way to celebrate the Day of Remembrance.  I love this!  Just a little simple act that make you feel connected to others around the world.  I work late on Wednesdays so I lit a candle in my heart.


What are some ways that you remember your babies?  Share them here because I am still looking for ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment